A 2 Day Symposium
Dental Update 2024 showcases advances and updates in the dental field from expert leaders and presenters offering the delegates an exceptional and comprehensive two day event with 15 hours of attainable CPD. Restorative Dentistry, Infection Control, Restorative Dentistry and Oral Surgery are just a sample of the diversity of important updates that will be provided at Dental Update 2024. The two day event sees leading experts, including Dr Anthony Mak, Professor Laurence Walsh AO, Dr Barbara Woodhouse, Dr Alisson Butt and Professor Ian Meyers OAM, combining to present this outstanding event in Brisbane, Friday & Saturday, 27-28 Sept 2024. Don’t miss this outstanding learning opportunity – secure your spot today to be part of the DU2024 experience!
THE QDG PHILOSOPHY
The Queensland Dental Group is a leading Australian organiser of exceptional dental continuing educational events, welcoming delegates from across Australia, New Zealand and beyond to engage in cutting edge CPD. These events have been opened on many occasions by State Ministers and Members of Parliament with the Queensland Dental Group achieving a major milestone in 2022, its 50th event. We remain focused in offering our delegates the opportunity to experience exceptional presentations by leading experts in fine surroundings. A unique attribute of Queensland Dental Group events is that no sponsorship is sought or included to allow all presenters every opportunity to present their unbiased views with tremendous impact. Organising Dental CE the way it’s meant to be. We look forward to welcoming you to DU2024.
Register for Dental Update 2024!
Leading Experts │ Fine Surroundings │ No Sponsors │ CPD at its Best
An Exceptional Event AwaitsDental Update 2024
FRI & SAT 27-28 SEPT
Dental Update 2024 sees leading experts combine to present this outstanding event.
A diversity of topics will be covered across the two day event and provide practitioners essential updates on techniques, materials and patient management approaches. Restorative Dentistry, Oral Surgery, Infection Control and updates on Infection Control are snapshots of the extensive range of topics that will be covered at the event.
Dental Update 2024 is a limited attendance. Secure your spot for this essential update.
Leading ExpertsDental CE the way it's meant to be
DR ANTHONY MAK
Dr Anthony Mak graduated with multiple awards from the University of Sydney in 2002. He then went on to complete his Post Graduate Diploma in Clinical Dentistry (Oral Implants). Dr Mak is one of Australia’s most sought after speakers, especially in the field of digital and restorative dentistry. He has lectured extensively in Australia, New Zealand and across Asia; and his hands-on workshops have gained such popularity that they are almost always booked out soon after registrations open. He is also gaining great popularity on the European and US circuit. Anthony is the author of two compelling compendiums detailing direct composite and indirect ceramic restorations, the clinical photography and documentations can only be described as exceptional. He has published numerous case studies and articles for local and international dental bodies, associations and the peer reviewed Australian Dental Journal. Anthony’s interest lies in dental technologies, advances in materials and techniques; and he has a unique understanding of CAD-CAM digital dentistry. Anthony runs two practices in metropolitan Sydney, focusing on quality modern comprehensive care, including aesthetic and implant dentistry. He is also a clinical consultant and key opinion leader for several global dental companies focusing on development of new dental technologies.
PROF LAURIE WALSH AO
Emeritus Professor Laurence Walsh AO is a well known senior dental academic and specialist in special needs dentistry. He has served on the academic staff of the University of Queensland School of Dentistry for 40 years, including for 21 years as the research group leader in advanced technologies. Since retiring from UQ in 2020 and then being appointed as an emeritus professor, Laurie has continued his involvement with specialist training and clinical research at UQ, and continued his own applied research in advanced technologies and clinical microbiology. Laurie is involved with two technology start-up companies that make novel dental devices. He has published over 400 journal publications, and his work has attracted over 20,000 citations in the literature. Based on citation impact, in October 2023 Laurie was ranked in the top 5 Australian dental scientists of all time in the Stanford University listing of the world’s top 2% of scientists. Laurie has been the editor of the ADA Guidelines on Infection Prevention and Control since 2012, and he currently represents ADA on 4 committees of Standards Australia (medical instrument reprocessing, personal protective equipment, face protection, and laser safety).
DR BARBARA WOODHOUSE
Dr Barbara Woodhouse graduated in dentistry from the University of Queensland and has worked for Queensland Health and in private practice – both in rural Queensland and in Brisbane – before deciding to specialise in oral and maxillofacial surgery. After completing a Fellowship with the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons, she returned to the University of Queensland to teach and to complete a Masters degree in oral and maxillofacial surgery in combination with a four-year surgical training program, initially at the Royal Brisbane Hospital. To broaden her experience, Dr Woodhouse completed her final year in a world class training facility in the United Kingdom and was admitted to Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. She was awarded a travelling Fellowship to Europe in recognition of the work she undertook in England. From 1994 to 2009, she was appointed as a consultant at the Royal Brisbane and Princess Alexandra Hospitals, where she pioneered several techniques not previously performed by oral and maxillofacial surgeons in Queensland. She has also served as Lieutenant Colonel Consultant to the Australian Army, and is currently on the national board of examiners for doctors applying for specialist registration in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Dr Woodhouse regularly travels overseas to extend her skills and training and is the Chair of Operation Interface. She is a frequently invited speaker to medical and dental groups both in Australia and overseas.
PROF IAN MEYERS OAM
Professor Ian Meyers OAM is a general dental practitioner and honorary professor at The University of Queensland School of Dentistry. Over the last thirty five years he has been involved in dental research, clinical dentistry, private practice, university and hospital based dental clinics and been a director and board member of numerous dental associations and colleges. His previous positions include being appointed as the inaugural Colgate Chair of Dental General Practice Dentistry, Chief Dental Officer for Queensland Health, President of the Queensland Branch of the Australian Dental Association, and CEO of the Australian Dental Association Queensland Branch. He is a Fellow and current Board member of the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons and the International College of Dentists, and is a Fellow of the Academy of Dentistry International and the Pierre Fauchard Academy. Throughout his career as an academic and clinician Ian has developed extensive experience in comprehensive patient care, diagnosis and management of worn and broken down dentition, geriatric and aged care dentistry, adhesive restorative dentistry and dental materials, and the management of patient’s in general dental practice through minimum intervention dentistry. He has lectured extensively on these topics both nationally and internationally.
DR ALLISON BUTT
Dr Alison Butt completed her undergraduate degree at the University of Adelaide in 1993. Prior to undertaking specialist studies, her general practice work was predominantly focused on public sector health in rural and regional Australia. In 2010 she completed specialist training in Dento-Maxillofacial radiology at the University of Queensland. Dr Butt works both privately and publicly. As clinical lead she worked with a multidisciplinary team to transition the largest public oral health service in Queensland to a fully integrated enterprise imaging solution. Beyond her role as a reporting radiologist in Queensland Health, a strong focus of her work and interest is improving and resolving image quality problems in larger enterprises.
Event ProgramDental CE the way it's meant to be
Session presented by: DR ANTHONY MAK
• How has 3D printing changed the way we do restorative dentistry
• How the use of 3D printed Provisionals in fixed prosthodontics simplified these workflows
• What do you need to start using this new technology
• The role of printable temporaries
• The use of this workflow to improve aesthetic case planning and case documentation
Session Presented by: PROF LAURENCE WALSH AO
• New silver fluoride concepts for caries arrest
• Colour correction and tooth shade reversal agents
• Photopolymerisation using 1 and 2 photon laser processes
• On demand analgesia and pain blockade using light-based therapies
• The universal cutting concept and robotic assisted dentistry
• Nanoparticles – from remineralization through to on demand gene therapy
Session presented by: DR ANTHONY MAK
• What are fibre reinforced composites and what is the history behind this type of composite resin?
• What are the applications with the use of this new class of material?
• Injectable fibre reinforced composites – how do they differ from conventional flowable composites
• How do fibre reinforced composites assist in the restoration of the endodontically treated teeth?
• How the use of these new materials can improve our restorative dentistry & improve patient outcomes?
Session Presented by: PROF LAURENCE WALSH AO
• AS 5369 and its implications for reprocessing
• Use and interpretation of chemical indicators
• Air and water quality issues affecting dental practice
• Rapid throughput sterilisation
• Environmental impact considerations for sustainable practice
Session presented by: DR BARBARA WOODHOUSE
• Assessment is key – pick the pitfall before you start!
• How to choose the right procedure – not the wrong patient!
• Difficulty need not be a disaster – turn it around to work for you
• How to select the instrument to be the solution – not the problem
• Managing infection before it escalates
• How to extract that impossible maxillary molar without an OAF
Session Presented by: DR ALISSON BUTT
• Factors which influence the quality of digital radiographs
• What to consider when purchasing a digital imaging system
• Getting the most out of your digital system – optimizing image quality
• Identifying and solving image quality problems
• How to implement a quality control program for your practice
Session presented by: PROF IAN MEYERS OAM
• Assessing and understanding the individual oral health needs of the ageing patient
• Root surfaces, root surface caries and appropriate management strategies
• Minimally invasive direct restorations to preserve and maintain the dentition
• To restore or not restore, options for management of compromised teeth
• Maintaining the mouth and creating healthier teeth for a healthier life
Session Presented by: PROF IAN MEYERS OAM
• Conservative restorative management – a range of clinical interventions
• Direct and Indirect approaches with both analogue and digital workflows
• Clinical assessment of erosion & aids in determining management strategies
• The use of fluorides & remineralisation agents – not all products are equal
• Maintaining, retaining, and enhancing restoration longevity
Number of participants is limited!
Secure your place at Dental Update 2024
Event Info & Registration BrochuresAttendance is Limited | Secure your place at Dental Update 2024 today
TO REGISTER FOR DENTAL UPDATE 2024
1. CALL US ON 07 3832 5000 TO
REGISTER OVER THE PHONE
2. OR DOWNLOAD FORM AND
RETURN COMPLETED FORM VIA
EMAIL OR POST